The B. Phinizy Spalding Scholarship is given to honor the memory of the late charter member of The Georgia Trust and one of Georgia’s pre-eminent historians, educators, and preservationist. The Hubert Owens Scholarship is awarded in honor of the founding dean of the University of Georgia, which is now known as the College of Environmental Design. This college is home to the Historic Preservation Program.
These scholarships were established by the Georgia Trust in order to ensure that knowledgeable leaders still continue to enter the field of historic preservation and obtain degrees that will allow them to work and thereby help The Georgia Trust in its goal to conserve the state’s built environment, inform the public about the benefits of historic preservation, and support individuals and communities in their restoration and preservation projects and programs.
Number of Scholarship Awards: 2
Deadline: February 7
GPA: Check the official website for more information
Major: Historic Preservation and Conservation, American Studies, History, Landscape Architecture, and other related fields of study
Eligible Students: College Freshmen
– Applicants must be in their 1st year of school in Georgia
– Applicants must plan to enroll as a full-time student during the upcoming semester at an accredited college/university in Georgia
– Applicants are encouraged to plan to stay and work in Georgia after graduation
– Applicants must be majoring or plan to declare a major in historic preservation or any related field, such as archeology, architecture, history and planning.
1. Go to www.georgiatrust.org and download the Phinizy B. Spalding & Hubert B. Owens Scholarships form.
2. Open the application form using MS Word on your computer and fill out the application form completely by providing your general information and educational background.
3. Provide an official copy of your most recent academic transcript showing your grades from last term.
4. You must also provide proof of current registration at an accredited Georgia college or university.
5. Include a current copy of your resume.
6. Provide two academic letters of recommendation and one personal letter of recommendation.
7. Provide a personal statement on why you are applying for this scholarship. Also include a statement concerning your pervious or planned future involvement in historic preservation. (This may also include your comments on why you classify yourself as a resident of Georgia)
8. Submit your application and all required materials to:
1516 Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
Applications must include the following materials to be considered:
• Completed application form
• Official transcript
• Current resume
• Three (3) letters of recommendation
• Personal Statement
• Proof of enrollment
All applications will be evaluated based on the following:
• The application itself
• Academic achievement
• Past and planned involvement within the preservation-related fields
Stipends are given for the current or the following academic year and will be divided over three quarters or two semesters.
Other Georgia Trust Academic and Preservation Awards:
• Preservation Awards
• J. Neel Reid Prize
• Elizabeth Lyon Fellowship
• Georgia Heritage Grants
• Georgia Tourism Grants
The Georgia Trust
1516 Preacher Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: (404) 881-9980
Fax: (404) 875-2205
Email: [email protected]