The Art Department Scholarships at Furman University are available for freshmen who wish to actively participate in their art department either as majors or non-majors. There are a number of competitive scholarships that freshmen may apply for. Students who are selected to become scholars are role models for their peers and have shown diligence in their work, and dedication to achieving excellence in art.
• Charles E. Blackwood Scholarship
• Glen U. Boyles Scholarship
• Mattie Hipp Cunningham Scholarship
• Thomas E. Flowers Scholarship
• Glen E. Howerton Scholarship
• Irene Hendricks Keith Scholarship
• William A. Leslie Jr. Scholarship
• Sidney L Lowe Scholarship
Amount: $1,000 to $2,000
Number of Scholarship awards: Varies
GPA: Check the official website for more information
Major: Art, Art History, Studio Art, Ceramics, Drawing, Graphic Design, Photography, and other related fields
Eligible Students: College Undergraduates and graduate students
Students who wish to apply for any of the scholarships listed above are required to fill out and complete the application form (https://admission.furman.edu/register/VisualArtsScholarshipApp) and submit a digital portfolio.
Students who wish to apply are must also attend the Art Department’s Portfolio Day, where they will be given an opportunity to tour the campus, attend a mini-workshop, and have their portfolios reviewed by the faculty. This whole day event is helpful in determining scholarship recipients, as it gives the professors a chance to meet future students and see their work personally.
Guidelines for submitting a portfolio:
Select 10-20 of your best works from as many different types of media as possible. Applicants may include at least 2-4 drawings from life, such as from direct observation. Applicants may also scan from their sketchbook or journals and submit up to 3-5 pages. Applicants may submit their works through any of the following methods:
1. Copy the images onto a CD and label the CD with the applicant’s name, address, and date. The CD should only contain the following:
a. 10-20 images submitted for scholarship application
b. Word document labeled “List of Works” that lists the titles, dates of completion, and (if applicable) the class for which the work was done for. When completing the online scholarship application, applicants must indicate whether they’ll mail a hard copy of their works to:
Attn: Marta Lanier
3300 Poinsett Highway,
Greenville, SC 29613-1116
2. Applicants may also upload digital images of their work to a portfolio website, such as Shwnd.com or wix.com. When uploading, please include the title, date of completion, and class for which you completed the submitted works (if applicable). When completing their scholarship applications, applicants must provide their portfolio website URL.
All applicants are evaluated on the basis of:
• Compositional skills
• Craftsmanship in presentation
• Openness to new ideas
• Financial need
The awards will be made by late April and will be contingent upon the recipient’s acceptance to Furman by the Admissions Office. The award money may be used only for study at Furman University or through Furman’s study away programs.
3300 Poinsett Highway,
Greenville, SC 29613
Phone: (864) 294-2000