North Carolina Sheriffs Association Criminal Justice Scholarships
The Criminal Justice Scholarships Program (CJS) was established by the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association (NCSA) to help academically talented North Carolina college undergraduates who are majoring in criminal justice. The scholarship program is currently being administered by the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA), since it was turned over in 1992.
Amount: $1,000 each semester
Number of Scholarship Awards: Twelve (12) scholarships are offered each semester for a total of 24 scholarships each year.
GPA: Check the official website for more details
Major: Criminal Justice
To be considered for this scholarship, applicants must:
– Be a college undergraduate majoring in criminal justice
– Be enrolled as a full-time student (with at least a 12 credit hours each semester) at a participating university
– Establish financial need
– Be a North Carolina resident
1. Get a copy of the scholarship application form from the Criminal Justice Department of at the financial aid office of the academic institution where you are currently attending.
2. Fill out the application form completely. Do not forget to sign and date the application after checking for any errors.
3. Obtain a copy of your most recent transcript and include it in your application package.
4. List down all extracurricular and community service activities you participated in within the last 2 years.
5. Compose a one-page signed essay on why you are seeking financial aid; and please state your educational and career goals in law enforcement.
6. Obtain a letter of recommendation from the sheriff of the county in which you’re currently residing.
7. Return all the items as a single package to your school’s financial aid office. The financial aid office will choose a nominee for your institution and forward it to the NCSEAA.
The selection of the recipients is based on the following priorities:
– 1st Priority: a son or daughter of (1) a North Carolina sheriff, (2) a North Carolina deputy, or (3) any North Carolina law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty.
– 2nd Priority: a son or daughter of (1) a NC sheriff or deputy sheriff who is deceased or retired, or (2) a NC sheriff or deputy sheriff who is currently active in law enforcement. 0078
– 3rd Priority: an academically eligible North Carolina criminal justice student with demonstrated financial need. (These applicants are required to file a FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid.)
The NCSEAA will notify the institution, whether or not their recommendation is approved.
The award money may be used at any of the following institutions:
• Appalachian State University
• East Carolina University
• Elizabeth City State University
• Fayetteville State University
• North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
• North Carolina Central University
• North Carolina University
• University of North Carolina – Charlotte
• University of North Carolina – Pembroke
• University of North Carolina – Wilmington
• Winston-Salem State University
• Western Carolina University
NCSEAA-NC Sheriffs’ Association Undergraduate Criminal Justice Scholarships
P.O. Box 13663
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Phone: (919) 549-8614 or (800) 700-1775
Fax: (919) 248-4687