Rene Campbell-Ruth McKinney Scholarship – NTA
The Rene Campbell-Ruth McKinney Scholarship program is one of the many scholarship programs that are annually awarded by Tourism Cares. This program benefits college undergraduates and graduate students who are enrolled in an accredited tourism and travel or a hospitality-related programs in the United States and Canada. This $1,000 non-renewable scholarship may be used to pay for tuition, fees, books, board and lodging, and other related expenses.
Number of Scholarship Awards: 1
Start of Application Period: February 15th
Deadline: April 15th
GPA: At least 3.0 or better
Major: travel-and-tourism or other hospitality-related programs of study
Eligible Students: College undergraduates and graduate students
To qualify for this scholarship award, applicants must:
– Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident
– Be a North Carolina resident
– Enroll as either a part-time or full-time student in a travel-and-tourism or hospitality-related program.
– Enroll in a college or university that is within the United States or Canada
– Be entering the 2nd year of a 2-year program, or entering your 3rd ¬ year in a 3-year program (for Quebec), or a 4th year student in a 4-year program. By the end of the current semester of the application year, you must have completed 30 or more credits if you are enrolled in a 2-year program; 60 credits if you are in a 3-year program; or 90 if you are in a 4-year program
1. Visit the Tourism Cares official website and access their General Scholarship Online Application.
2. Fill out the application completely.
3. You’ll need to provide the following items to complete your application:
a. Official Transcript – This must be sent directly from your school in a sealed envelope to the Tourism Cares office.
b. A copy of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for United States citizens. Your FAFSA may be uploaded and submitted along with your application. For those without this form and Canadians, they can upload a copy of their passport or birth certificate as proof of their citizenship, or an Alien Registration Card as proof of their permanent resident status.
c. (1) Recommendation letter from a faculty member of your field of study. The letter should be on an official school letterhead.
d. Updated professional resume.
e. (1) Recommendation letter from an industry professional you worked for.
4. Applicants who are from Alaska, California, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Idaho, Montana, North Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Utah, Oregon, and Washington may be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license.
5. Compose an essay using Times New Roman with 12 point font size, double-spaced, and with 1-inch margin on all sides answering the following questions:
a. Discuss what segment of travel and tourism or hospitality industry your current program of study focuses on.
b. What opportunities are you taking advantage of as you prepare for a career in this industry?
c. Please tell us about your academic and extracurricular activities and other experiences, such as work, internships, etc., and how they tie into your current and future goals. You can also mention any awards, honors, or commendations you’ve received relating to the industry.
Note: Please limit your essay to two pages in length.
275 Turnpike Street, Suite 307
Canton, MA 02021
Phone: (781) 821-5990
Email: [email protected]