The Serena D. Dalton Scholarship Fund is administered by The Winston-Salem Foundation. The funds are intended to provide grants to needy Forsyth County residents who are planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution in pursuit of a degree, certificate, or diploma.
Amount: No specific amount
Number of Scholarship Awards: Varies
Deadline: August 15th of each year
GPA: A cumulative unweighted GPA of 2.0 or higher
Major: Check the official website for more details
To be considered for this scholarship award, applicants must:
– Be residents of Forsyth County, NC
– Have achieved and maintained the minimum GPA requirement
– Have a family adjusted gross income of up to 300% above the Federal Poverty Guidelines
– Be enrolled as part-time (minimum of 6 credit hours per semester) or full-time students during the academic year in a program leading to a 1st time 2-year or 4-year degree, certificate, or diploma from an accredited college or university which participates in the federal student aid program
1. Go to The Winston-Salem Foundation’s Website at www.wsfoundation.org and access the online application.
2. Fill out the application completely.
3. Provide your high school grade transcript through at least the 1st semester of your 12th grade or year-end college grade transcript, whichever is the most recent.
4. If you are a dependent student, provide your parent’s most recent federal tax return.
5. Provide your federal tax return from last year.
6. If you applied for federal aid, include a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). Your SAR can be obtained after filing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can file your FAFSA much quicker via online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
7. Upload a copy of the financial aid award letter.
8. Submit your application once all the requirements are uploaded.
Note: The application and all supplemental materials must be received by the Foundation on or before the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.
– Completed application
– Most recent academic transcript
– Parent/Guardian’s latest federal tax return
– Applicant’s signed federal tax return from last year
– Student Aid Report (SAR)
– Financial aid award letter
The Winston-Salem Foundation’s Student Aid committee will select the recipient(s) based on the following:
• Financial need
• Academic performance
• Extracurricular activities and/or community service
Note: The Foundation’s committee reserves the right to withdraw an award should a recipient’s circumstances change, such as failure to graduate from high school or get accepted into an accredited post-secondary academic institution. If the Student Aid committee does not find any qualified applicant, the Foundation will withhold the award.
After the Foundation’s Student Aid committee has selected the recipient(s), the checks will be issued both to the college and the recipient. The checks will be mailed to the recipient’s provided home address. It will be the recipient’s responsibility to deliver the check to his/her college’s financial aid office. It usually takes two (2) weeks to process the checks.
The Winston-Salem Foundation
860 West 5th Street,
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Phone: (336) 725-2382