Tony Cullen Memorial Scholarship
The Tony Cullen Memorial Scholarship program is offered by The National Carolina High School Association (NCHSAA) to honor the memory of Tony Cullen, who was a former lacrosse player, coach, and official. Tony Cullen was a Chapel Hill resident, played and coached lacrosse at Duke University in the 80’s, and eventually became an official in the early 90’s. The program was set up by his friends to honor not only his name, but to also promote the sport in North Carolina.
The purpose of this scholarship program is to provide financial aid to a senior, male high school student athlete participating in the varsity level lacrosse team at an NCHSAA member high school. The award money may be used to pay for tuition, room, board, books, computer, fees, lacrosse uniforms, team fees, and other related expenses.
Amount: $1,000 plus a ceremonial plaque
Number of Scholarship Awards: 1
Deadline: February 14
GPA: Check the official website for more details
Major: This scholarship program does not require its recipients to pursue a specific field of study
Eligible Students: High School Seniors
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
– Must be a United States citizen or a legal resident with a permanent resident card
– Must be a male in his senior year of high school
– Must be participating on the varsity level lacrosse team at a North Carolina High School Athletic
Association member high school:
– Must plan on playing varsity men’s lacrosse at any of the following North Carolina College/University:
o Belmont Abbey College
o Brevard College
o Catawba College
o Duke University
o Greensboro College
o Guilford College
o High Point University
o Lees-McRae College
o Lenoir-Rhyne University
o Mars Hill College
o Mount Olive College
o Pfeiffer University
o Queens University of Charlotte
o St. Andrews College
o UNC – Chapel Hill
o Wingate University
1. Go to the NCHSAA’s official website at www.nchsaa.org and click on “Scholarships” under the “Student & Parents” tab. Look for the link to the only scholarship application.
2. Complete the online scholarship application, submit all the information noted in Section 11 of the application, and the Required Additional Information as noted on the online application page.
3. To complete your application, you’ll need to provide the following
a. Composed personal statement which shall include:
i. Why you want or need this scholarship.
ii. How a player, coach, official or the game itself has affected your life outside of lacrosse.
iii. Brief description of your leadership skills and potential.
iv. Examples of how you plan to “give back” to the game of lacrosse now and/or in the future.
b. A reference letter from your current or previous high school lacrosse coach.
c. A letter from a North Carolina College or University indicating your intent to play lacrosse during college. You may also submit a National Letter of Intent.
d. At least one reference letter from someone outside of your school. That someone must not be directly related to you and your family.
Other Athletic Scholarships offered by the NCHSAA:
• Clary Medal Award
• Jerry McGee Endowed Student Scholarship
• Pat Gainey Student Award
North Carolina High School Athletics Association (NCHSAA)
222 Finley Golf Course Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Phone: (919) 240-7401
Fax: (919) 240-7399
Email: [email protected]